Are you looking for a fun art & craft project that uses items that you already have on hand? This Valentine craft is a budget-friendly heart wreath that can be customized to your own design. This is a great project for kids of all ages!
Simple & sweet valentine craft
Today, I am going to share with you this quick & simple project my kids made in art class. A sweet Valentine’s Day wreath made from discarded cardboard paper rolls. I love to watch kids create their own versions of the craft project. Allowing them to show their own creativity & style.
Crafting, repurposing & DIY projects are daily happenings in our home. It is a way of enjoying the simple things in life and the joy of turning treasure from trash and creating something new. We have many project ideas for both adults & kids of all ages to share so be sure to join our email list for exclusives & updates!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure policy here.
more valentine’s day fun!
Pin & Save for later!
materials for this valentine craft
Cardboard rolls (toilet paper, paper towel, gift paper rolls, or packing rolls)
Paint – spray paint, chalk paint, or acrylic paint (here’s the paint we use)
Glue (glue gun or your choice of glue)
Optional embellishments (glitter, sequins, ribbons)
Ribbon or jute string for a tie to hang your wreath
Tools for this valentine craft
Paint Platter or paper plate (if choosing to dip your paint on)
Paint Brush (if choosing to brush your paint on)
Clothespins (to hold the rolls together while they dry)
Time to create your Valentine Craft
1. Cut your cardboard pieces in the thickness you choose. (We did ours in 1-2 inches)
2. Then layout your heart in the size that you choose to make sure you have enough pieces cut.
3. Then choose your paint method, colors & paint!
Let them dry for a few hours then they are ready to glue!
Place them back into the size of heart you want. If you would like to dip the ends in glitter now is the time to do that.
Grab your glue and place some on one piece at a time
Pinch each piece together & clip till glue dries
+ Making sure to glue one at a time so you can maintain the shape of the heart the way you’d like it
Even the one we tried with Elmer’s glue dried quickly. Once your heart is all dry you can add any type of embellishments you wish. You can add a ribbon or jute tie to hang your heart or place it on a shelf!
SHOP OUR TOP 8 CRAFT & DIY SUPPLIEs
Here are our FAVORITE art & craft supplies that I always try to have on hand. These items will be used in countless craft and DIY projects that we will be sharing with you! I have added the shopping links to the products below so you can have these items on hand as well!
“MUST HAVE” CRAFTING SUPPLIES
1. Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint (extra bottles of white for the look of icing)
2. Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint by Plaid (even though it’s very inexpensive we have never had a problem with coverage)
3. Mod Podge Water-based Sealer, Glue & Decoupage Finish (gloss version) & (matte version)
4. Sculpey Polymer Clay – I could do an entire post just on the different things my kids create each week with this amazing clay!
5. Sharpie Permanent Markers– I use these often in my business and now find us using them quite a bit for our projects as well!
6. E-6000 Glue – Using this in a well-vented space for sure! But it works very well.
7. Burlap Roll 5 inches wide – Burlap is compostable which is just one reason why I use it in a variety of projects.
8. Jute Twine String– Biodegradable & environmentally friendly and used in dozens of household projects
COME JOIN US!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Art Project for KIDS -Upcycled Tic Tac Toe Game
50 FREE Kids Activities for Home
Easy, Affordable Snowman Ornament KIDS Can Make!
Earth Friendly KIDS Art-Burlap Reusable Banner!
How to Make Quality Eco-Friendly Beeswax Wraps